Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lullaby

I train my son to remember his heritage, both spiritual and Latin through lullabies.
The moment my son started to actively reach to touch my cheek I was ecstatic. He was seven months old. It was the first signal to me that he wanted to engage back. It inspired me to paint this piece, an instant favorite: Lullaby. I remember painting it on the bed of my hotel room as we took him on his first vacation. I was so frustrated with it. I painted layers and watered-down layers trying to get the colors and depth right. (And also trying to figure out what should be hair and what should be clouds... and what should be the visual difference between the two!) In the end, it didn't turn out as I thought it would; it turned out better. 

Not much has changed in the last two and a half years. My now-three-year-old still uses a pacifier and still loves to touch my cheek. It's his favorite way of falling asleep. Except now he can say, "let's snuggle."

I realized how it's become a love language of his, and wondered if any other moms out there could resonate with that imagery. And so, the Lullaby print is now available for the first time in my Etsy shop in Letter size.

Buenas Noches!

Over three feet tall and still my baby.