Sunday, August 11, 2013

Painting to Process

My advice: stop fretting about a masterpiece and let the art you're creating serve you.


I use to worry about what I was going to paint. What's beautiful enough? What's the meaning behind it? What am I trying to say? How will it be read? 

Painting became a whole different animal when I stopped asking those questions. I stopped worrying about the finished product. I stopped thinking about how expensive that piece of paper was. I just painted what is on my heart. 


I paint to process. I paint to process what's really going on in my mind and heart. I may start with a word, a motif, a swish or a splatter--something to break up the paper and make its blankness feel less sacred.

And oftentimes in the process of painting, I discover what's on my heart.