Friday, September 20, 2013

Flattening Warped Watercolor Paper

In my past post I mentioned that there was yet a fifth piece I did for TrainUp.com. This one was 3 ft. by 2 ft. painted rendition of their logo. 

I went wild with the watercolor washes, leaving my paper buckled and warped. Good thing that flattening it out is not difficult!

It only took three steps: 

1. Spray the back of the painting with water. Firmly run your hands over the paper to help the water seep into the fibers.

2. Place weights on top. One large piece, the same size or larger than your painting, should go down first. Clamping them together to the desk also helps. Then place whatever you find to serve as weights dispersed all over the painting. My collection of Dr. Suess books worked wonderfully!  Wait overnight.

 3. Wake up and take the weights off. Repeat if necessary. See the difference?