Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trust | Proverbs 3:5-6


It's a beloved verse, and one I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity to spend a little time on. Proverbs 3:5-6 hits us on any day, at any point of the day.

I thought I'd share my thinking as I was painting, some clues as to why I paint things the way I do:

  • Trust felt like the biggest, hardest command in this verse, paramount and thus highlighted.
  • Squares by trust hint on how foundational it is.
  • I use brackets to visually break up the thoughts within a verse.
  • Him has explosive motifs around it. He is mysterious and alive.
  • Lean not on your own understanding is slanted to allude to leaning and to allude to how skewed our thoughts are.
  • Him is on the left so that it touches both what was written before it and what was written after it
  • The triangles around He will make show progress
  • The lines are around the squares symbolize Him straightening our paths while the squares themselves resemble our path's stepping stones
  • Splatters for interest and because let's face it: life is messy. No command--as simple, direct, or true as it could be--avoids getting a little messy around the edges once put into practice.


Trust Him this week,
A