Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Rendering Up a Mess

Embassy Suites Watercolor Rendering by Amarilys Henderson


I'm really having fun taking clean lines and… well… messing them up. And then working with them. [Repeat.] The push and pull of molding and deconstructing, introducing color and then desaturating: creating tension.

This project was commissioned by HGA for the client who contracted them to design this Embassy Suites. This rendering was turned around in 24 hours. Perhaps it's the masochist in me but I like projects with quick turn-arounds. I get excited about it, pump it out and move on to the next one. Even if it means a long night or a short spirt of stress, I like a little pressure because I like meeting a challenge. 

I've got another challenge on my desk, and I'm wondering if I should give it a shot at the risk of not churning out what we had hoped. And worse, I wonder if I should underquote for fear of disappointing. But I'd be pretty darn proud if I could rock it!

This is where I give myself the same dose of advice I'd give a fellow artisan: When you doubt yourself, push forward and think of how proud you'll be of your growth when you're on the other side. I'm not saying that we should say "yes" to every project or that we're even capable of every job--it may be someone else's job--but if you're unsure and that challenge is right at the cusp of what you know you can do, then go for it.

"I've never done one of those before" does not discount you.

It's a new year tomorrow. It's about time for a first.
Keep creating-
A