Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lessons from Apple Sailboats


I was reminded of an important art lesson… while making my son apple sailboats. It wasn't the toothpicks, scrapbook paper or apple slices that spoke to me, but rather the little assembly line I made of it. I was forced to make eight slices per our apple slicer and it made me grow in my creativity. Okay, nothing huge, I went from making squares to rectangles to parallelogons (narrower at the top) to flags. Having to make several of these, I had the freedom to innovate.

Specialization nurtures creativity. 

Making several of the same thing forces you to move on to new ideas for fear of boredom as you become more and more familiar with your subject matter. It's how Picasso was able to become a cubist: after mastering the human body, he could deconstruct it. It's how the best avant-garde artists began with traditional styles. And they kept exploring their subject, their focus.

We creatives are too quick to change from one subject to the next… I suppose it's that same fear of boredom! But working through it can bring key creative discoveries. And that's what I learned from making apple sailboats this morning. 

Happy New Year! 
A