Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Veil Will Be Lifted

Behind the Veil (Mariposa) 3'x2' watercolor on paper
Want to know why I often paint abstracts? (Other than because they're fun!) I just think that a sunset is stunning, flowers are beautiful and the human face too interesting to capture all that it is. Why replicate what is already breathtaking? It is! Perhaps because it's inspiring? It is! But I've seldom seen a painting that so realistically depicts a colorful sky that it leaves me stopped in my tracks. How come? Because the painter had an arsenal of saturated pigments with which to depict it, God made its visual reference with much more than that. 

And so I try to paint its essence, its impression of beauty upon me. I try to interpret it with new life. A leaf's intricacies are best left seen on the very little things we step all over in the Fall, but its pattern is something worth noting and recording… in a field journal sort of way rather than a scientific journal sort of way. 

At least that's my take.

It could also just be that realism is not my gifting.

Be it as it may, I tried to use my colorful, floral motifs and gestural painting to depict something in this piece: as beautiful as what we see around us is, it is nothing compared to the realism found on the other side of this life. The butterfly is on the other side of the veil, clear as day, while everything we see on this side of the curtain is rendered in a painterly fashion.
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.  
1 Corinthians 13:12, ESV
We will see clearly, love fully, worship whole-heartedly, understand completely. For now, we do the best we can.

My Instagram feed gets full of cupcakes and cute puppies, colors, and dreamy interiors, but the beauty and joy in this life can't compare to what it will be like in heaven for those who live by faith while they wait

Staying expectant, 
A

Other posts you may like: