Monday, April 7, 2014

Self-Foregetfulness

Sometimes serving happens wonderfully naturally in my life, and sometimes I'm counting my every "selfless" deed. What makes the difference? 
You want to know what secret sin I've been struggling with for months and months? Laziness. I know, it doesn't sound very serious or scandalous. But its shame comes from how easy to remedy it seems. Just do it! Just stop! But like all indwelling sin, it's not that easy.

I want to lay back, I want to be comfortable, I want to quiet my mind of its busyness… so I sit. I'm afraid to jump into service for fear of welcoming in stress dressed in benevolence. But that's a lie.

It seems like the people who are busy serving others are the least aware of how burdensome it is to work… hard… constantly.

So is work the answer? Just do it!


No, the answer (as always) is Jesus. 

Did my rational not go in the way you'd assume it'd go? Sound trite? 

Keeping Christ as our focus creates fruit, a joyful servant heart, and strengthens our ability through the Holy Spirit to conquer sin. 

"...the way many of us think about sanctification is, well…not very sanctified. In fact, it’s terribly narcissistic. We spend too much time thinking about how we’re doing, if we’re growing, whether we’re doing it right or not. We spend too much time pondering our spiritual failures and brooding over our spiritual successes. Somewhere along the way we’ve come to believe that the focus of the Christian faith is the life of the Christian."--Tullian Tchividjian
Read his blog titled The Gift of Self-Forgetfulness or join me in reading Tim Keller's The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness.  

But in the end, "self-forgetfulness" is not the take-away here. Again, as always, the seemingly-trite {Sunday School} answer is Jesus. He is the One who inspires us to and enables us to do small things with great love as we embody His love. 

Keep growing, 
A