Tuesday, July 22, 2014

All He Really Needs



It's a children's song by Raffi, "All I Really Need," and it describes my heart towards orphans. 

I was asked recently why I want to adopt. Of course, I get this question pretty often, but I'm going to be presumptuous and attempt to describe the heart this question was coming from. She was elderly, very well educated and very well accustomed to respect. She wasn't haughty by any means, but rather had the poise, age, and background to merit anyone's hearing. 

I imagine some of her supporting questions may have been, "why not have your own?" or "are you naive to the complexities of adopting?" And some supporting statements might be, "he's not your blood," "there are too many orphans, you can't save the world," or "it's so difficult and expensive!" But she knew better than to ask and say all that. 

"Why do you want to adopt?" is far more neutral and well-mannered.

She may look at a child and see all of their practical needs. She may tally the bill in her head: they need food, they need clothes, they need medical attention, schooling and supplies, the occasional summer camp and vacation, college tuition, insurance and savings to cover any emergencies or difficulties, they'll want a car, spending money... The list goes on. The sum is large. 

And what about the weight of responsibility? The parent will be responsible for the expenses above and the little child's well-being, behavior, etc. It's no small thing. 

And it's not. It's not a small thing. I get that. 

But when I look at a child, I see something entirely different. 

It began with my (biological) son, looking at him as a baby. And now I see it in just about every child's eyes. I see what this song is talking about: "I just need someone's love."

It's so basic, so sweet, and so heart-wrenching. Um, guess whose arm goes up?! I can do that! Me! Me!

As a parent, I know that every bit of expense, heartache, hardship and responsibility is swallowed up in love. What lengths would I not go to for my son?! I would sell my house to pay his medical bills, I would find the people best suited to help him, I'd get a second or third job. It's not a burden. It's hardly even a thought.

So, I answered her question simply: having our first son biologically opened up my eyes to the love supply within me. It's a well that keeps filling, and it engulfs any other concerns. And, yes, I am moved by the need. And I can't not do my bit to change one little life (as I've said before in this post)... who will soon change mine. 

You are wanted, sweet little child. You are wanted. And you will be loved oh so very much.
A

For more posts like this, hit the "adoption" label in the header.