Monday, October 27, 2014

Step By Step Watercolor

How to paint with watercolor? What is the first step?  

Painting in watercolor is tricky. I completely agree. So how to create watercolor paintings all the time and still have a full head of curly hair

Most of the time I just go. I do. So it's probably best for me to just show you than to try to articulate it into words--who actually *reads* painting posts anyway?

[Disclaimer: This is not a post about how paint in watercolor step by step. If you're interested in that sort of thing, you'll be able to find it; if nothing else than in this prior post.] 

Today we'll ditch the wordy posts and get straight to business: the visual! Here are some pieces that were fortunately captured at different stages.

The pattern is basically the same:

1. {Sometimes} sketch



2. Light Washes


3. Middle values / filling color


5. Darker Shades


6. Fine Details


It ain't rocket science. Because it's art! Ya get it??! 

Keep painting,
A

PS- Just an über useful tidbit to echo some of my introduction: my hair was straight until when I permed it in third grade. The curl went away, but I always kept a wave. Then in seventh grade, I permed it again. I'm still waiting for the perm to grow out.

PSS- Who doesn't have NKOTB playing in their brain right now? Step by step, ooh baby...