Monday, November 17, 2014

Building Faith

"God loves you too much to leave you the way you are," is a common Matt Chandler quote. I often find myself feeling pretty wow'd by how God puts us in difficult, impossible or un-ourselves-like situations to show us how He'll fill the gap.

My story thus far has many parts I would not have thought to write in myself. I'm a Puerto Rican girl who married a Minnesotan that moved her to China. I then became what I could scarcely imagine myself as--a mom--to return to live in Minnesota and become an adoptive mom as well. The little girl who said she'd fight off marriage for as long as she could became the young girl who only wanted to be a career woman... who ended up being a stay-at-home momprenuer. And if I keep this up until my second son goes to kindergarten, I will have been without a full-time job for ten years!

Not expected.

Today we went in for an appointment no one would volunteer for. It was a pre-op doctor's appointment for our second son. What's funny is that I actually did volunteer for it by adopting a boy with a medical need. As far as surgeries go, it's not anything terribly risky and he should be able to go home that evening.

I've done this before. Our oldest had a similar surgery a week before his first birthday. It was scary, but I knew it had to be done. A song by Phil Whikham stuck in my mind,
"you will safe in his arms,
you will be safe in his arms,
the hands that hold the world
are holding your heart."
As usual, I painted and prayed through my fears to create this image.

Painting and sharing my experiences through this blog are not only a way to record my faith growth, it is a key element in my faith growth. I am building my faith by sharing with you. I put it out there, you comment back, and sometimes you are inspired to work through your mountains in a similar way and share back.

So this quiet, private girl has another element to her daily story that she would not have predicted to write in: she writes... publicly, regularly, honestly. Why? Because it's just another bamboozle from her God that likes to show off his awesomeness filling the gap in her weakness. It builds her faith.

Please pray for our little guy's surgery on Wednesday. It may be the first surgery of two, but I ask you to pray that it wouldn't be. I ask you to pray that he could be treated fully once. Pray for wisdom on the physician's part, and healing on the Savior's part.

Thank you. Thank you for being a part of my ride!

Some of you ask about how you could be a part of our adoption journey in more practical ways as well. And indeed one of THE greatest testimonies in our lives has been God's provision for endeavors we can't afford to quiet down in our hearts, but we can't afford financially. He steps into that gap and fills it right up through people like you that truly care. Thank you so much.

If you'd like to give a personal gift (non-tax-deductible) towards our adopted son's upcoming medical expenses, click below.


If you'd like to give a tax-deductible gift towards our travel expenses (reimbursement), click below and follow the instructions. {Please designate for our family account #4533.} This account will be closed within the month, this is our last opportunity to have donations be be tax-deductible. We will be filing for reimbursement from our $7K in travel expenses with any money we receive.


Don't be fooled. God has given us enough. Enough for our hearts to grow and mature, enough for material needs. That is the heart and soul of this post. 

He gives us huge challenges, and he supplies all we need to fulfill them with grace. Not by making us awesome people to make ourselves seem or feel more grand, but by bringing us to a place where we feel our littleness... and can only ask and watch. Like little children. 

Isn't that beautiful?

Keep walking in faith, 
A

New here? Wondering about these questions? 
Why Adopt? How did you afford it? What in the world is a "watercolor devo"?