Monday, December 29, 2014

The Good Life


What if this is as good as it gets? Have you watched that movie? As Good As It Gets is one of my faves. I appreciate the quality actors in it and an authentic look at life. The line that the movie was named after stops me in my tracks. 

What if this is as good as it gets? asks Jack Nicholson. It may seem like a dark question--a moment out of Debby Downer's diary--but it's worth a thought. We spend our lives looking towards the next big thing as if it will fulfill our climb to the pinnacle of life. Whether it's a kid who can't wait to grow up or a couple who can't wait to fill the house they JUST bought, we all want that next thing. And it's a great feeling {within limits} to anticipate the future. 

It's that week between Christmas and New Year's and we're all doing it. I know I've been thinking and eager to plan. Set those goals! Think it through! Refocus! Pray! I've started three books within a week. This is very rare. But I've seen it happen before. It may not stick, but it's fun for now and knowledge is great no matter how much of it I get to read through. But I'm noticing that I'm growing discontent with where I'm at and growing angry at anything or person who gets in the way of my "positive change" idol. 

As I franticly think, I just need time to read my books! I just need a little clarity of mind to map out my plans! I'm placing "what could be" as more precious than, oh... for example... my little precious creatures. A hope for "the good life" has become more important than the good life He's already granted me.

Ouch. And DUMB.  

So I'm wondering, what if we think best case scenario and present case scenario. What if this is as good as it gets? If nothing changes between December 2014 and December 2015--at least in terms of plans and "betterment"--will that be, like, okay?

Even if I'm under intense suffering (which I'm not), even if I'm sick or my day to day (not where I stand), can I just be content? Can I still find joy? Will I be grateful?

And if not... why? 

The answer is usually (and always) the same Sunday school answer: Jesus. If having He who is good and nothing else is as good as it gets, then awesome. That's pretty darn GOOD. If that's not grounds for contentment, joy, praise, and gratitude, then it's not my circumstances that are off, it's my communion with Him.

I'm still looking forward. 

And if it's more of the same, bring it, 2015!
A