Friday, February 27, 2015

Why Do You Paint?

My hunger for beauty makes me paint. It's an impulse. It's a need. And while I paint, I keep my expectations low and my hopes high because if nothing else, I felt the high of creating. (from Instagram)

It's such a basic, necessary question that I had to make sure that I had answered it here. As I said in an Instagram post for Watercolorful Weddings recently, 

My hunger for beauty makes me paint. It's an impulse. It's a need. And while I paint, I keep my expectations low and my hopes high because if nothing else, I felt the high of creating.

When I paint, it's as if something in me needs to work its way out. It could be an emotion, an idea, a Biblical truth or an impression of beauty. But I don't often approach painting as if it needs to communicate something.

I use to hate creating without outside direction. I felt that I had to "say something" with my art. It needed to be a statement--social or other--a commentary that had to be made... but what? I'd worry myself over weeding out trite ideas that in the end, I just wouldn't create anything

Now, when I approach a piece of paper or a canvas, I bring only my desire and let the painting be what is was meant to be. I realized that I could not breathe or lift a finger without God. And I often have to just trust that God will make it be awesome... or not... and that's okay. 

Of course, practice and professional skills are necessary to refine the mess. I'm not a fan of approaching creative endeavors as if they're just supposed to "be" while others are expected to ooh and ahh. But when it comes to the daily practice of a craft, you just can't overcomplicate it. 

We have a creative desire within us. End of story. 

So roughly, I paint because: 
It's fun. And I have to.  

Keep painting this weekend!
A