Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Because You Just Never Know...

"Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well." Ecclesiastes 11:6
You just never know, do you? What is the most successful business plan? Beats me! And apparently, all that we have are guesses. People sometimes ask me for business advice--and I'd love to do a little forum chat about that--but all I've got are my experiences, what I've seen to work (along with their various variables) and a best guess. Advice is all I have to offer, I definitely don't hold a formula and I'm leery of anyone who claims to. 

This advice from Ecclesiastes, though, I do live by. I read an article recently titled, "Death of the Artist, Birth of the Creative Entrepenuer" and it's on point. We so easily digest imagery that artists are forced into more marketable avenues to share their work. Being trained as a commercial illustrator was certainly in that vein. But more than that, diversifying is a definite tactic. 

Ecclesiastes is full of similar suggestions, words that urge us to save some here, invest some there, and let it all ride because you never know what will come your way. The redundant gist of the book includes the thoughts that 
a. the greatest falls come for those who set their hearts on one hope in this shaky world, 
b. there is no formula for a good life, 
c. security is found in Wisdom (Christ) alone, and... 
d. since you never know what's going to happen, enjoy what you've got.

(Oh, and e. let God handle justice. And... okay, so there are more themes than I covered there.)

This ONE nugget is enough for today. 

Keep painting, 
A